These quick and easy chicken skewers are perfect to make with the kids, and super yummy to eat to .
Prep:10 mins | Cook:15 mins | Serves 8
4 Beech Ridge Farm chicken breasts (skin removed)
2 tsp oregano
1 garlic clove crushed or grated
1 small yellow pepper
1 small red pepper
1 small courgette
1 small red onion
wholemeal tortilla wraps, to serve
baby spinach leaves or gem lettuce, to serve
few sprigs flat-leaf parsley (optional) , to serve
For the tzatziki
¼ garlic clove
4 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* You will also need eight bamboo skewers
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water. this is to stop them from burning when you are cooking the skewers.
For children, it’s a good tip to using kitchen scissors rather than a knife to chop the chicken into small pieces, then pop it into a plastic box with a lid.
- Using a vegetable peeler, pare strips of lemon zest from the lemon, then juice the lemon as well. Add both the peel and the juice to the chicken in the box along with the oregano and the crushed garlic. Season generously, mix and put in the fridge for 15 mins with the lid on.
- Deseed and chop the peppers into pieces a similar size to the chicken, hop the courgette and cut the red onion into wedges.
- Heat a griddle pan on a high heat.
- Get the chicken out of the box, discard the lemon zest and thread the chicken onto the soaked skewers, alternating every few bits of chicken with the veg.
- Griddle for 10 mins, turning halfway.
- While the skewers are cooking, make the tzatziki. Grate the cucumber into a bowl (discard the watery seedy core), grate the ¼ garlic clove in too, season and stir in the Greek yogurt. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Serve the skewers hot off the griddle with the dip, or take the chicken and peppers off the skewers, leave to cool and pack into wraps spread with a little tzatziki and rolled up with baby spinach / gem lettuce and a few picked leaves of parsley for a tasty sandwich.