We’ve found this really lovely chicken liver pate topped off with festive cranberry jelly. Perfect to make before Christmas for a season gift or for you Christmas lunch starter. The Pate can be made ahead, stored in pretty jars and topped with the festive jelly just before you give your lovely gift (or eat it yourself!)
40 g Butter
1 Onion (diced)
1 Garlic clove (sliced)
3 strips of streaky bacon (finely chopped)
350 g Beech Ridge Farm Chicken livers (rinsed and well drained)
½ cup Cream
2 tbsp Brandy
½ tsp Cracked black pepper
2 tbsp dried cranberries
½ cup cranberry sauce
½ cup apple juice (clear)
1 tsp gelatine
½ cup water
- Heat butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté with the garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes until the onion is soft and bacon lightly golden.
- Add the chicken livers and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until plumped up and just browned.
- Add the brandy and pepper and cook a minute, then add cream and toss to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a food processor, puree the liver mixture until fine.
- Push this mixture through a sieve.
- Seasoning if needed and spoon into prepared (sterilised*) jars.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then chill.
- For the jelly, combine the cranberry sauce, dried cranberries and apple juice in a saucepan over a low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatine over the water and let it swell for 2 minutes, then add into the hot cranberries and stir until dissolved.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before spooning on top of the pâté.
- Chill and allow to set for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with toasted brioche fingers, sourdough or crackers of your choice.
*To sterilise your jars:-
- Wash your jars and the lids in hot soapy water, but do not dry them.
- leave them to stand upside down on a roasting tray while they’re still wet.
- Pop the tray of clean, wet jars and lids in to a preheated oven at 160-180ºC for about 15 mins.
We found this wonderful recipe here – http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/9296/Christmas-pate-with-cranberry-and-apple-jelly/