These Greek-style spiced kebabs are the perfect summer meal. They are a popular Greek fast food, and eat to make at home. In Greece and Cyprus they are often made with pork, but we feel chicken lands itself very well to this recipe. Beef and lamb may also be used.
You will need – 4 long metal skewers
12 Beech Ridge chicken thighs – remove the skin and de-bone.
For the marinade
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
zest and juice 1 lemon
plus 1 lemon cut into wedges to serve
4 garlic cloves, crushed
For the tzatziki
200g Greek yogurt
small bunch mint finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, crushed
Juice ½ lemon
1 butter or round lettuce
4 large tomatoes – seeds removed, chopped
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 pitta breads or flat breads
And chips to make a real takeaway feel!
- Put the chicken into a large bowl and add all the marinade ingredients, plus 1 tsp salt and a good twist of ground black pepper.
- Mix well, ensuring each thigh is well coated. Cover and chill for at least 3 hrs, or up to 48 hrs if you have time.
- Next make tzatziki. Halve the cucumber lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Chop finely and then combine with the remaining ingredients, along with a good pinch of salt. Chill until ready to serve.
- If using the grill, heat to its highest setting and line a roasting tin with foil. If using a BBQ, ensure it is ready for cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge, take one thigh and thread it over 2 skewers, so it has a skewer through either side. Thread another piece of chicken on top, leaving a slight gap between each piece; you should fit 6 thighs on each pair of skewers. Position the skewers on top of the roasting tin.
- Put the chicken under the hot grill or on the BBQ and cook for 15-20 mins, brushing with oil and turn halfway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the heat and rest for 5 mins.
- Cut through each pair of skewers to make four kebabs and serve in warmed pitta or flat bread, with lettuce, tomato, red onion, lemon wedges and the tzatziki (and chips if you want!)